Tuesday, February 17, 2009


TITLE: Ecstasy: A Shadow Dwellers Novel
AUTHOR: Jacquelyn Frank
COPYRIGHT: 2009
TYPE: paranormal romance
PAGES; 352
SERIES: yes but this is book 1 in the series

REASON FOR READING: To be totally honest the cover is what made me buy it. That and I loved Jacob. Different series by the same author

SUMMARY: {From Goodreads }
Among the Shadow dwellers, Trace holds power that some as willing to kill for. Without a stranger's aid, one rival would surely have succeeded, but Trace's brush with death is less surprising to him than his reaction to the beautiful, fragile human who heals him. By rights, Trace should hardly even register Ashla's existence within the realms of Shadow scape, but instead he is drawn to everything about her - her innocence, her courage, and her lush, sensual heat.After a terrifying car crash, Ashla Townsend wakes up to find that the bustling New York she knew is now eerie and desolate. Just when she's convinced she's alone, Ashla is confronted by a dark warrior who draws her deeper into a world she never knew existed. The bond between Ashla and Trace is a mystery to both, but searching for answers will mean confronting long-hidden secrets, and uncovering a threat that could destroy everything Trace holds precious.

THOUGHTS/OPINION:
Well I can’t determine if it was my mood or the book that made this not enjoyable for me at all. I think Ms. Frank did an excellent job of world building and I really enjoyed it. As well as the plot line it had some moments that were entertaining. But all in all I didn’t enjoy this book.

Things I enjoyed:
Like I said above I really enjoyed the world building. Ms. Frank is known for her fantastic worlds that are thought out and follow certain rules. Those rules carry over to every book and never change. However, the world building wasn’t enough for me with this book.
I did enjoy Magnus and I would love to see his book. And I love that she took the India culture and made it work with this series. I also enjoyed that their culture allowed for twin rulers a woman and a male. That was something interesting.

Things I didn’t care for:
The main characters. I seriously couldn’t connect with any of them. I didn’t care for Trace and I didn’t like his heroine. To be honest I can’t remember anything about her except she can heal and is pale. They always, always, always had sex. The few times they talked it ended with sex. They at least went 2 whole days without sex and that’s just b/c she was injured but then that third day watch out cause it was on. And it never stopped. I just didn’t buy that they had to do IT all the time. Mostly through this book I found that I just didn’t enjoy the interaction between the characters it fell flat to me.

Was the author new to you and would you read something by this author again? Nope I’ve read her before and enjoyed her other series.

Are you keeping it or passing it on? passing

SCORE: 5 out of 10 (some parts worked others didn’t)

2 Comments:

  1. JenB said...
    I had a similar problem with the first book in the other series (was that Jacob?).

    Good world building, interesting story, good characters...but I just didn't connect. It was one of those "It's not you, it's me" things. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the book, but I still couldn't get into it. Hate it when that happens!
    Anonymous said...
    I read Jacquelyn Frank's other series...not all, but the first three...I think. I think this was before I started reviewing every book I read, so I don't remember my thoughts on the book. I agree about the cover and I really want to read this one. I'll wait to see where I am. I've purchased gobs of books and I don't want to get any more until I see where I'm at with the book challenges.

Post a Comment