Wednesday, May 20, 2009



TITLE: Princess of the Midnight Ball
AUTHOR: Jessica Day George
COPYRIGHT: 2009
TYPE: Romance
PAGES; 280
SERIES: You know I’m not sure

REASON FOR READING: The ladies over at the Book Smugglers reviewed it and it was one of my favorite fairy tales as a child so I thought I would give it a whirl.

Summary : {From Goodreads}
A tale of twelve princesses doomed to dance until dawn…

Galen is a young soldier returning from war; Rose is one of twelve princesses condemned to dance each night for the King Under Stone. Together Galen and Rose will search for a way to break the curse that forces the princesses to dance at the midnight balls. All they need is one invisibility cloak, a black wool chain knit with enchanted silver needles, and that most critical ingredient of all—true love—to conquer their foes in the dark halls below. But malevolent forces are working against them above ground as well, and as cruel as the King Under Stone has seemed, his wrath is mere irritation compared to the evil that awaits Galen and Rose in the brighter world above.
Captivating from start to finish, Jessica Day George's take on the Grimms' tale The Twelve Dancing Princesses demonstrates yet again her mastery at spinning something entirely fresh out of a story you thought you knew.


THOUGHTS/OPINION:
I really enjoyed the sisters and there interactions with each other. However, it did get old having 12 of them in a conversation LOL. Yeah that’s me hard to please. The author was very good at setting up the story and telling it in a way that stayed true to the original myth I remembered as a child but yet added some things I didn’t know like the knitting (or at least that I didn’t remember). Galen was an interesting character and I enjoyed learning more of the Under Stone part of the story.

Things I enjoyed:
-Galen he was not a young man to be messed with after fighting in the war as long as he did. He lost the only family he ever knew but yet still had a sunny outlook on life. He wasn’t one to sit and brood about it or turn into an ass about it either. I enjoyed that even after a hard life he still enjoyed living.
-As I mentioned above the author stuck to the original fairy tale but at the same time managed to bring it to life without altering it too much.

Things I didn’t care for:
- -I did enjoy the 12 sisters but at times it was almost too much

Are you keeping it or passing it on? Passing on it. It was a library book that was cute but not a re-read unless I have children.

SCORE: 7 out of 10

Anything Else: If you enjoy fairy tale remakes this one is pretty good.
*******
100+ Book Challenge


46 / 100 books. 46% done!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment