Wednesday, April 22, 2009



TITLE: Lament: The Faerie Queen’s Deception
AUTHOR: Maggie Stiefvater
COPYRIGHT: 2008
TYPE: Young Adult/Fantasy
PAGES; 326
SERIES: 1st in a new series

REASON FOR READING: The girls over at Book Smugglers Talked me into it. Although I can’t recall what they thought I just had to read it after their review.

Summary : {From Goodreads}
Sixteen-year-old Deirdre Monaghan is a painfully shy but prodigiously gifted musician. She's about to find out she's also a cloverhand—one who can see faeries. When a mysterious boy enters her ordinary suburban life, seemingly out of nowhere, Deirdre finds herself infatuated. Trouble is, the enigmatic and conflicted Luke turns out to be a gallowglass—a soulless faerie assassin – and Deirdre is meant to be his next mark. Deirdre has to decide if Luke's feelings towards her are real, or only a way to lure her deeper into the world of Faerie.

Luke isn't her only problem. A sinister faerie named Aodhan is also stalking Deirdre. Long-time enemies with a common goal, Luke and Aodhan carry the same assignment from the Faerie Queen. Namely, kill Deirdre before her music captures the attention of the Fae and threatens the Queen's sovereignty. Caught in the crossfire with Deirdre is her best friend James whose devotion has been teetering precariously on the line between friendship and love for months – a feeling that Dee doesn't quite reciprocate. It's Luke she can't stop thinking about: Luke, who was supposed to kill her immediately but hasn't. Luke, who cannot refuse the Queen's orders without paying an unimaginable price. Deirdre ultimately must confront the Faerie Queen before she loses everyone she loves.


THOUGHTS/OPINION:
This starts off with a young girl trying to find her place. She gets stage freight bad enough she throws up before every performance but her mother still makes her play. This time however, she runs into Luke the boy from her dreams. At first she can’t believe its real but after he continues to show up along with some other, too beautiful to be real, people she begins to wonder about them. Add to it her grandmother’s warning, attacks, and of course the general weirdness that happens around her and Deirdre begins to wonder if she loosing her mind or if there is something more out there. Turns out there is someone out there that views her as a threat.
Now Deirdre has to stay one step ahead of the queen to prevent her death and those she cares about. This was a wonderful fantasy book that kept my attention through the whole thing.

Things I enjoyed:
-At first I didn’t like Deirdre. This is the problem I have with teenage books I think they are all too young, whinny, and have the its all about me complex. Which Deirdre did except she grew in the book and started to come into her own. Her issues with Luke were annoying but they even started to shape and form. So after a while I finally started to sympathize with her and that’s a HUGE feat for the author to do.
-I loved Dee best friend he was awesome! He played the bagpipe he never doubted her when she told him about the weirdness in her life. He was very supportive of her and he was in love with her. OMG I was so rooting for him.
-I like the twist she did on with the Faire world, the myths and world building the author did was very good.

Things I didn’t care for:
-Like I said at first Dee got on my nerves and I wasn’t happy with her personality but she grew and that was impressive.
-I didn’t care for the songs. Its just me but I just couldn’t get into them and I ended up skimming them but this was just a minor thing.

Are you keeping it or passing it on? Passing on it b/c it was a library book. After the next one comes out and if I like it I will probably buy both.

SCORE: 8 out of 10

Anything Else: This was an interesting look at the Faire world and I highly recommend it.
******
100+ Book Challenge


36 / 100 books. 36% done!

1st in a series



8 / 12 books. 67% done!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment