Sunday, January 25, 2009


TITLE: Death of A Pirate King (AKA: DOAPK)
AUTHOR: Josh Lanyon
COPYRIGHT: 2008
TYPE: M/M
PAGES: 248 (in ebook format)
SERIES: Yes 4th in a series
Book 1 review: Fatal Shadows
Book 2 review: A Dangerous Thing
Book 3 review: The Hell You Say

REASON FOR READING: Come on I am a rabid fan girl now and I won’t miss a book

SUMMARY: [from Goodreads ]
Gay bookseller and reluctant amateur sleuth Adrien English's writing career is suddenly taking off. His first novel, Murder Will Out, has been optioned by notorious Hollywood actor Paul Kane. But when murder makes an appearance at a dinner party, who should be called in but Adrien's former lover, handsome closeted detective Jake Riordan, now a Lieutenant with LAPD -- which may just drive Adrien's new boyfriend, sexy UCLA professor Guy Snowden, to commit a murder of his own!

THOUGHTS/OPINION:
Wow Josh sure knows how to hit you in the gut with emotions. This book took me on a rollercoaster ride from page one to the end. I ended up laughing, crying, grinding my teeth in anger and annoyance at people’s behavior, to turn around and cry again. This book effected me in a way I wasn’t expecting. For some reason (and yes I know that reason) I was completely able to connect with Adrien. I understood every emotion he had when he thought of Jake, I understood the anger when he found out things, I understood the snapping at people you love b/c of that anger, but most of all I understood the hurt.
This showed me (not that I had any doubt) that Mr. Lanyon is truly a fantastic author who writes with such depth and clarity that one doesn’t realize they are reading a book. They forget that these people aren’t real.

Things I enjoyed:
I really enjoyed seeing Adrien and how he was coping since the last book. I loved watching him go through all the emotions he thought he had worked through only to discover he hadn’t. This is one of Mr. Lanyon’s best skills, writing emotion in a way that every one can relate to it.
I also love that Mr. Lanyon showed us a different side to Old Jake. A side I wasn’t expecting to see, was happy to see but at the same time still wanted to kick his arse. He made a character I hated last book so real that I couldn’t help but understand and sympathize with his struggles. My God I actually like Jake at the end. (weird considering my feelings for him at the end of the last book)

Things I didn’t care for:
Yeah I can’t think of anything and that in itself is just strange

Would I recommend this book? Yes I would highly recommend this series. Hands down one of my favorites and a must re-read for me.

Was the author new to you and would you read something by this author again? Nope the author wasn't new to me. I will read anything and everything this man puts out.

Are you keeping it or passing it on? Keeping

SCORE: 10 out of 10

Anything else? This is definitely a series I wouldn’t miss out on
*****************************

100+ Book Challenge:

6 / 100 words. 6% done!

Ebook Challenge:

4 / 10 words. 40% done!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment