Thursday, July 2, 2009


TITLE: One Scream Away
AUTHOR: Kate Brady
COPYRIGHT: 2009
TYPE: Suspense/Romance
PAGES; 464
SERIES: Yes strangely enough this is.

REASON FOR READING: Reading Romance sent me the Arc.

Summary : {From Goodreads}
Killer Chevy Bankes is a master of disguise, and just paroled, he's coming after the woman who sent him to jail, the beautiful antiques expert Beth Denison. A set of antique dolls brings Beth into his sight, and inspire Chevy's disturbing crimes as he draws closer to Beth and her young daughter. Chevy sends the dolls to Beth one-by-one and she soon realizes that these antiques carry the same marks as his victims, signaling that the final piece in his collection will be for her.

Neil Sheridan gave up his FBI shield five years ago, but his best friend Rick, a cop, pulls him in as a consultant on a case involving a serial killer who is eerily similar to a murderer Neil encountered in the past. The investigation leads Neil to Beth's doorstep, and he is certain she isn't telling him the truth. Neil is the only one who can get through Beth's defenses and, as they grow closer, discover the secrets that Beth is hiding about her fateful night with Chevy.

THOUGHTS/OPINION:
First off I'm not a HUGE suspense/thriller romance reader. I like them every once in a while and when I feel like it a good one really hits the spot. This one didn't work for me. A lot of it was the characters. I know a lot of people will find the contradiction refreshing but I didn't. I felt that the heroine was SUPER weak one moment and than TOO tough the next. I understand that she had been through a lot of horrible crap and nightmares ect. are par for course but one moment she is ready to blow his head off, while the next she is shaking so bad simply being reminded of his name...

Another thing I didn't care for was how fast the hero came in and took over the heroine's life and she was fine with it.

Now that was all the bad things let me talk about the parts I liked:
I enjoyed the villain/bad guy he was well rounded or as rounded as a psycho killer can be. I was actually able to understand his breakdown and why he did what he did. That was very interesting.

All in all I thought the plot with the suspense was handled well, the background story of how the characters came together was also well done and the dolls used was wonderful.

While I didn't care for this book I feel that others might enjoy it based on the plot and tactics used. Even though this book didn't work for me I would pick up another by this author

Are you keeping it or passing it on? Passing on it.

SCORE:4 out of 10
*******
100+ Book Challenge


52 / 100 books. 52% done!

2 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Since I really love this genre, I wonder if I'd like it better?
    Sarai said...
    You actually might J Kaye I just have to be in the right mood to read this genre

Post a Comment