Tuesday, November 4, 2008



TITLE: The Lady Flees her Lord
AUTHOR: Michele Ann Young
COPYRIGHT: 2008

TYPE: historical romance
PAGES: 401

SERIES: not that I am aware of

REASON FOR READING: Sourcebook contacted me and asked if I would be interested in reviewing this fabulous book and I said YES

SUMMARY: [from Back of Book ]
She’s desperate for peace and safety… Lucinda, Lady Denbigh is running from a husband who physically and emotionally abuses her b/c she is unfashionably plump and has failed to produce an heir. Posing as a widow, she seeks refuge in the quiet countryside…
He’s returned from the wars, wounded and tormented…Lord Hugo Wanstead, with a wound that won’t heal and his mother’s and Spanish wife’s deaths on his conscience, finds his estate impoverished, his sleep torn by nightmares, and brandy his nly solace. When he meets Lucinda, he finds her beautiful – body and soul – and thinks she just might give him something to live for
.

THOUGHTS/OPINION:
I liked this story I really did. I had like 2 issues throughout the entire book but all and all I enjoyed the characters. Lucinda was a sweetheart who put up with a lot. The abuse in the story appeared to be more emotional and verbal then anything else. To me that is the hardest abuse to escape. Even after you have left the person the words are still there as are the wounds. The same was true for Lucinda. She couldn’t believe any man would be interested in her for anything other than her money, which as a widow she doesn’t have a lot of.
Hugo on the other hand is your typical wounded hero from a war. He is both mentally wounded and physically and turns to the only thing that eases both brandy.

Okay the plot: Lucinda flees her husband who is abusive when she finds out he wants to take her to a party and pass her around to the male guest for money. In her attempt to flee she takes only a little bit of money and winds up with an orphan (I’m not going to give away how b/c I thought it was a cute historical bit) Anyway she ends up on Hugo’s estate renting his cottage. When Hugo returns he almost runs over the orphan and that’s how they meet.

The plot continues from there she doesn’t think he could ever like someone like her. While he doesn’t want to like her b/c the last woman he did was killed and he blames himself. Needless to say they do get their HEA.

I enjoyed Ms. Young’s writing. It flowed well and sucked me in from page one. I fell in love with Lucinda and found myself wanting her HEA. Hugo was a little tougher for me to like but it came together when he started working on improving his life. The ending was enjoyable it had a twist I wasn’t expecting but it worked.

Things I didn’t like: I didn’t like that Lucinda had the affair with Hugo while she was married (keep in mind this is a personal issue with me.) If you are married even to a scumbag you shouldn’t cheat. Get divorced (which was a lot harder back then I get it) or do something but cheating and lying to the man you love about a story that isn’t true doesn’t ring real to me. Not to mention that all is forgiven that easily.

Would I recommend this book? Yes I would I thought it was a sweet historical read

Was the author new to you and would you read something by this author again? She was new to me but I look forward to reading some of her other books

Are you keeping it or passing it on? Keeping I think I will re-read it again
Did you enjoy the book? yes
SCORE: 7 out of 10

http://www.micheleannyoung.com/

3 Comments:

  1. Tracy said...
    Sounds like a good book. Glad you liked it. I have the problem with the cheating as well but if it's not badly written I can usually deal with it.
    little alys said...
    Yes, I tend to have that issue with a lot of stories too. Not just outright married cheating, but I don't like those stories when one of them is obviously seeing someone else and then, viola, matches with the other main character. Or, that other person's just some casual sexual benefit. Don't care. I have personal issues too, although I am curious about this book. :)
    Sarai said...
    Well the thing that really threw me in this book was the lying she did to the hero. I mean she flat out lied to him about being a widow and while I get that I don't understand how he could just forgive and forget I mean I would have a hard time trusting a person after that...

Post a Comment